Friday, December 31, 2004

NYE with the NHS

I had a great day in work today. Had some nice kids in, good friends on with me and no stress what so ever....Oh I lie. I did have a bit of stress.
Computer stress. I got in at 3pm. You may be amazed to know that 50% of my work is with the computer. Well today the software had a big glitch. It had this glitch all day and It affected at least four other departments but it took until I got in to do something about it (maybe they were too busy?) So I called the IT department. I got a recorded message. "Hello the IT dept is closed for the holidays" (ummm may I interrupt here....NYE isn't a holiday?) "We will reopen Tuesday at 9am" (fucking great) "if you need IT support in an emergency , You will have to go through Hospital Management"
Now being a patient and serene sort of woman (right) I accept that other departments don't work holidays and weekends like Nurses and Doctors have to. But FFS this is NYE it is not a HOLIDAY. So I rang management and told them of our predicament which if it wasn't sorted would affect us all weekend. And I was allowed to talk to an IT man. He wasn't best pleased with my call and actually DARED to start the conversation with "You do KNOW it's New Years Eve?"
Anyways I was terribly polite and after telling him the problem three times because apparently I don't speak English! We finally got it sorted out.
I think I'm in the wrong Job.

No comments: