Sunday, December 26, 2004

Boxing Day

When I was a child Boxing Day was my favourite Day of the Christmas Holidays. We got a few gifts from relatives that day but that wasn't the reason. Boxing day was spent at my Nan's house in Bedminster. My most beloved relative of all was my Grandad but we called him Papa. No idea why though, must have been me I guess because I was the oldest...Some version of Grandpa for a toddler. Papa was a most wonderful man to us kids. But I know I was his favourite. He was my favourite. He spoilt me like crazy. He was funny and clever and I just loved him more than anything.
Everyone went to my Nan's boxing Day. They'd all go to the pub at lunch time..When I was old enough I went too. They'd all sing old songs. Get merry and laugh. Then stagger home and eat cold Turkey and Bubble and Squeak. Then fall asleep all afternoon whilst we'd run up and down the street or play games with our cousins. Then we'd have tea. Always trifle and sandwiches and Christmas Crackers. More drink, more songs. Everyone happy. I loved it. I felt warm and happy and part of a big family.
When I was married I tried to continue Boxing Day but it wasn't the same without Papa. Today though we had my Mum and Dad and Nan around and it was good.
The kitten was so funny, trying like crazy to get on the table and join in. She climbed up everyone's legs at least three times. Tormented my mum's dog like mad.
Tonight I took down the Christmas Tree.. Help I'm turning into my mother. That's exactly what she used to do. But to be fair to me...The kitten had wrecked it and the dust and dirt and broken decorations were making me miserable.
It's all clean and spacious now. You're all welcome to visit!
My bum has a huge black bruise on it. Poor Trin. I couldn't swim this morning at the Gym..It hurt. So I just sauna'd instead. But stop press. I got Abby up to the gym! Bit of exercise will do that girl good.
Oh a funny thing happened yesterday. I got one of Abby's gifts mixed up with my Chinese sister-in -law. Abby opened a silk Chinese dress and Camille got a Goth top with Protected by Satan on it.
The kids are going to their dad's tomorrow. I thought I'd have a day's peace. He made some comment about picking them up at 10am...But it's now changed to 2.30 which will end up 3.30 pm. Probably give them a gift each in MacDonald's Car park and bring them home.
No I don't joke.... That's a very real possibility. He's done it before.
Hope you had a good Boxing Day. Next door are quiet.... Hang overs I reckon. Or the big build up for New Years Eve. Oh Joy! (better get the spirits in)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A rather belated Merry Xmas Trin. Love, hugs & glittery things x

Spaceminx said...

Bah! Its come up as Anon again and it was me all the time. Spaceminx.

Trinity said...

I knows its you. No one writes like you do!! xx