Monday, January 24, 2005

Just a another Manic Monday

This morning was hell. I had to get the cat to the vets by 8.30 and then get to work by 9. I was late...It was 9.30 by the time I got there. I was worried about Bailey but that feeling only lasted a few minutes because we were very busy.
It annoys me that during the weekend the ward staff come into our room and add kids to our clinic and take notes and files. Mondays are always hell.
We're meant to have 6 maximum clinic cases per day. Today we had 13. Quite the day to have a critically ill child in.
You never quite know what's coming through the door. The GP's phone up and say blah blah....Bit of a temp not taking fluids and when they arrive there's nothing wrong with them. This one was unwell for few days.
The Child was a year and arrived in it's car seat. We took the child out and as I looked at it I realised the kid was moribund. Cold flat and barely rouseable. Me and my colleague barely spoke to each other but we worked fast and warned the ward we were bringing a really sick one around stat. Within a few minutes of them getting there they had collapsed further and needed to go into resus.
Then one of the staff...a junior member told me that a young relative was really sick...Not expected to live the day. I could tell they didn't know what to do. But I knew they needed to go home to be with the family. So I sought out a senior member of staff and quickly explained and to my utter relief she just took their bag and coat and ordered them home. I just hope they aren't mad with me for interfering.
Then the afternoon started. The patients began to arrive and I lost a set of notes. I started to get a bit fraught because we had them in the morning and they'd vanished. It turned out I'd accidentally sent them to coding....Right the other side of the hospital. So I jumped in the car and retrieved them.
Shit. Sometimes I'm so stupid.
Anyways. The day ended. I collected Bailey and she's home where she's meant to be.
I apologised to a mate who I'd been a bit fraught with yesterday. Typical me.
Two days off now. But even though today was hectic. Looking after the real sick ones is what I enjoy most. I just hope that Child is ok. Was looking quite poorly when I left.

No comments: