Thursday, August 10, 2006

window to my council soul

Apparently us council house dwellers are being treated to new windows... all round. Must be to go with the new shopping centre we are promised.
Today a man came round to measure the windows. I did rather think they were probably all the same size but who am I to question?
Then in the second wave I get a visit from Rula. Rula is about 55 with dyed blonde hair and a 'trendy' fashion sense. She drives a huge car, silver with big wheels that reminded me of a bull.
Rula has obviously 'done' these council estate people before.
She sweeped in pronouncing and overly annunciating each word very carefully.
She had a booklet that explained fully the purpose of the new windows (to make them new!) the aims and philosophy of the company she works for and who she is complete with picture of Rula using Glamma shot.
Then there was a form to be filled out. Each question was explain slowly and concisely. I was beginning to get very pissed off.
Firstly they wanted my address and name and the names of everyone in the house and our dates of birth... Why? I don't know many window companies that require your date of birth prior to fitting (unless you want finance of course)
I didn't fill out mine, they do not need my age (which is of course almost 36). Then they wanted to know if I had any disabilities, anyone medical ever visit the house, how many pets I had, and a next of kin. "Why a next of kin?" I asked.
Apparently in case something dreadful happened like a new window falling on me.
Great.
So it's all set for September 8th. Good job I haven't bothered cleaning the old ones.

No comments: