Monday, July 12, 2004

Family

Life as Trin at the moment means coping with illness. My dad is having a triple heart Bypass Operation tomorrow afternoon. Its been a tough time. He's a big part of the girls lives not having a decent father to rely on.
Funnily enough despite the fact I'm a staff Nurse. I hate hospitals. I think very little consideration is given to the feelings of patients in hospital. The loss of autonomy. The confinement in a small space with other people you don't know. The loss of control of your own life. The total reliance on medical staff that may be having a bad day because of some event at home.
The ward he's on seems to employ a lot of foreign nurses. I'm most certainly not in any way racist, never have been but this has come from some drive to employ nurses from countries like South Africa. These girls are probably excellent but their communication skills are limited to the basics of the English language. They speak fluent English but don't know the little innotations, and words to make someone feel cared for and comforted. Often this can come across as being cold, when infact thats not true.
But doesn't help my poor dad! I'll be nervous tomorrow thinking of him. Won't have any nails left at all.

No comments: