Wednesday, November 22, 2006

today

Me and Spring went out today to the fancy dress shop to get his Reindeer outfit for Santa weekend at the railway. We drove down some back streets in Bedminster and past Doll's house. Doll was my Nan's best friend. Whenever I pass her house I always remember that day when Nan died. I offered to go round and tell Doll the bad news. They'd been inseparable for many years. They'd grown up together, been through the war together and stayed friends throughout everything. Doll took it worse than my mum. She was inconsolable.
As we past her house I told Spring about that awful day. I noticed a Police car parked outside the house.
We went into the fancy dress shop and got him his costume and Danz a Christmas Tree Costume. I also managed to get my glasses frame completely replaced in Specsavers. A relief. Can't see a thing without them.
We got home and my Mum called. Doll had died. After Nan died Doll went to pieces and my mum took over. Doing her washing, taking her shopping and taking her every Wednesday morning to the hairdresser. This morning she'd gone in the get her and found her dead on the kitchen floor. Head gashed... Presumably from a fall. She'd called 999, paramedics, police and eventually the coroner arrived.
She'd had to call Doll's grandson and make police statements. She was so upset.
Spring is still not right at all. He's getting there slowly but gets these episodes of weakness and dizziness and numb hands. He was meant to be taking his boy to an appointment a big distance away next week. But he's not well enough to do such a arduous and hectic day. So much to her annoyance and disdain his ex has to take her son. I have to admit to being really cross with her attitude to Spring. Compassion? She doesn't even know the meaning.
Work remains a place of sadness too. Tuesday was very bleak. Two of the staff nurses had lost a parent in the night... One lost her Mum and one her dad. Really sad.
I had a shock to find out I didn't get some off duty request I made. I don't ask a lot. Christmas week the unit is only open three days and I work 4 days. My manager pointed it out. "OK I'll take a days holiday" I said sensibly. Apparently I can't. No-one is allowed holiday that week... So let me get this straight. I work 4 days a week and we are only open three days?
Are they stupid or what? I don't need that stress.
Anyways. The highlight of the day was Spring in his reindeer outfit. Very.... ummm..... Festive.
;)

No comments: