Tuesday, November 14, 2006

those I love

I'm feeling so much better these days. I think all that silly liver rubbish is well behind me. I even did 10 lengths of the pool yesterday... I know I need to do more but it's a start.
I was so concerned about my lovely online mate Grumblemag's nasty hospital experience last month. What a horrible thing to go through. I'm always aware when I'm nursing just how much patients lose control of themselves when ill. Things run away with them and before they know it they've completely let go and have no idea what's going on.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usBut things haven't been right here at all. My Spring has been really poorly. Having had proven Glandular fever, I surmised he'd caught it too. He had all the symptoms and was really unwell.
This went on for weeks. We were unable to go see his sister at half term because he was so lifeless and grotty.
Then he seemed to get better, then 48 hours later much worse. I noticed his need to pee every 10 minutes and at night.... I thought he had a wee infection. I'm a nurse, these things happen. So I merrily nick a couple of urine labstix from work. They show if you have an infection in 2 minutes.
The poor love resisted my request to pee in a pot for ages and finally gave in to my insistence. To me there's nothing more normal but to him it was awful.
I laughed and plunged in the stick and sat and waited.
The infection squares stayed stubbornly negative. Hmmmm I saw him watch my face as I scanned the coloured squares. And my face must have looked awful when the very last square. The one that showed sugar went a hideous brown colour. I wasn't expecting that. It also showed a few Ketones which is a worrying sign that the body isn't coping well and is in trouble.
Poor Spring... "Have I got something terminal then" he tried to smile. I showed him the brown square.
He was actually very stoical and made light of it. I had this worrying hour when I was trying to be reassuring but get over to him my insistence that he see a doctor this week.
I'm not 100% sure he has diabetes. I'm not a doctor. There are various diabetes levels. And his sugar is a lot lot better today. But I have been so anxious about him. I want him to be well. If he has diabetes.... Fine. We'll cope with it. It won't change anything. But he's been so unwell. I want my lovely funny bright Spring back. I want him to feel good.
I do love him you know.
Then today I find out that my best mate Collette was one of the Farepak Hamper victims. It was such a awful thing for families who save to lose just before Christmas. But for it to be someone I know and love. I was devastated for her. She works so hard. She's such a good person. She has helped so many people this past 2 years at no thought for herself. She doesn't deserve this. I'm so cross.
Oh and I got locked in a church today. I went to try to book Danz's party for January in the Church Hall. The woman didn't see me and left the place early locking me in... Luckily she noticed me as she headed for the bus stop.
I was nearly stranded with the Christians.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dad has diabetes. It's watched by diet, no medication. YES I KNOW YOU KNOW IT CAN BE THAT SIMPLE SOMETIMES but have you told Bounce? I like Bounce. He's stuck a candle in my mate's heart that has given her a glow that lights her whole body :-)
Crap news for Coll. :-(
How much has she been hurt for?
You know one of the money men from Farepack is a director of one of the scottish banks? Disgusting. People earning hundreds of thousands for doing little and the rest of the country struggle to fill the freezer through the average month. Then along comes Christmas. Some sensibly save for it and what happens? Makes me furious. Typifies the tiered structure in this country. Never mind the average wage! If 9 people earn £1,000 a year and one person earns £250,000 the average would be over £25,000 a year.
Sorry.
Pet rant I'm afraid. Blogg Hijack over.
Take care Trin.
Take care all. Wish Coll good wishes.

Donna said...

"I was nearly stranded with the Christians......."

God forbid!!!