Tuesday, February 06, 2007

edinburgh


The Royal Mile..... miles of Scotland shops

Even tartan boots.

So..... what a weekend. A very cold Edinburgh. My first visit to Scotland...
So how was it?
A very early and I considered unnecessary start... surely we could have got a later flight? 4am start. We arrived at the airport at 5.45 to complete chaos. Queues snaking out of the terminal. Then a very stressful trip through security when the tannoy announced the flight boarded and we were about 100 people behind the front. Eventually we pushed through, then Paula announces Did she need that little orange boarding card as she'd lost it? Luckily a guy in the queue found it and handed it in... we got on the plane and it closed the doors and we left.... phew very stressful.
We arrived at 8am. I thought we were getting a taxi to the hotel but no... they'd changed their minds and we got a bus. It was cheaper and got us to the town in 25 minutes BUT as soon as we hit the town we got off. 3 stops too soon.So then I had to lug my rather heavy suitcase (you need as much for one night as 7) for 40 minutes up and down hills and steps to the hotel.
We got lost and at one point did a complete circle on ourselves. I was exhausted. I was very cold. I had a tee shirt and leather coat on. I'd expected a warm airport a warm taxi and warm hotel. Instead I got ice cold wind and walking. I was not amused.
We put our cases in the hotel and went for Scottish breakfast. The meal had haggis so I decided to eat Vegetarian. I'd had veggie haggis before and it was OK. I was relieved I did. Every one's food was really cold. At least I won't get food poisoning I thought cheerfully (you getting the impression I wasn't enjoying this?)
We decided to catch the tour bus next. I was cold and tired. OK, least it won't mean walking...... As we left the cafe Morag made a turn off to the right. I said there was a bus stop just up the road. No, apparently you can't just CATCH a bus. You have to go to the beginning of the route and buy the tix from the ticket office. I told her that was crap and we could buy the tickets from the bus driver.
They didn't believe me. So we walked 20 minutes to the bridge and the tour bus office. We walked in and Morag asked for ten tickets for the bus tour. The woman behind the counter looked at us as if we were stupid. "You buy them on the bus" She said.
I told you so sat on my lips.
On the bus they all ran up the stairs. I refused. I was fucking freezing. It was open air. No way was I going upstairs. I could feel them bristle at me. I was being a pain.I knew it. I couldn't help it. I'm me.
So we toured through Edinburgh. The pre recorded tape was rubbish. I didn't know any of the people they were talking about... so and so born here. So and so wrote his first poem here.
We stopped at a shopping centre. They all headed for retail therapy. Debenhams. Someone help me I thought. Then they went upstairs and the Royal Yacht Britannia. Now, I am NOT interested in some boat where the Queen once slept. It was a tenner to get in. I was not paying that. I am now careful with money ;)
So I sat outside.
After an hour I began to fall asleep. Then I realised I was pissing miserable. I needed to go to the hotel, warm up, Have a wee and a sleep. So I text them and took the next bus back.
Back at the hotel I checked into a lush room. It was cosy and warm and had a view of the sea.....The Sea? I'd always thought Edinburgh was mid country. Oh well I never did geography at school.
I was so much happier when I woke up. I realised how moany I'd been. They didn't get back till about 6pm. They'd done M&S and Next.... etc etc
Why do women need to shop in M&S in every town?
I'd wanted us to all spend the evening together, but because they were all tired it didn't happen. We ate in three different venues. I got a bit drunk. And we ended up in bed at 9pm with Hugh Grant on the TV. Asleep by ten. But what a lovely sleep.
A sleep to take me on to a very long and tiring Sunday.... which I'll write about tomorrow.....
Night everyone xxx

1 comment:

Jude said...

I hate shopping.