Friday, January 21, 2005

4 am

I was asleep. Dreaming about being on holiday on the forth floor with a very strange lift that looked like an old Victorian parlour.
Something woke me. I stirred. It was the front door. I laid there and listened again but it knocked again this time more insistent. I jumped out of bed. The adrenaline rushed. Who would knock at 4am? The Police? My dad was ill yesterday...Maybe something happened?
I got to the top of the stairs and called out. Whose there?
I groaned when the familiar voice of Claire the shop lifting girl replied. 'It's me Claire'.
I was mad 'I don't answer the door at 4am'
'It's me' She Pleaded ; 'You know me...Remember. I was pregnant. You asked about the baby every time you saw me.' I heard someone else with her. 'Shut up love' She whispered 'I can't hear her...No I can't remember her name'
She returned to shouting through the letterbox ' Open the door...We got stuff'. At my non reply she started to cry.
'I lost the baby you know...Before Christmas.... I lost it'
Long pause and I heard her crying harder.
Then' Are you going to open this door?'
'It's 4am 'I said rather sadly.
They stayed outside for ages. Both girls woke up. Abby was worried. I was scared. What if they did something to the car? Dunno. It was just scary.
I took ages to go back to sleep. I'm working 12 hours today as well.


No comments: