Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Individuality


I'm listening to Pink Floyd, 'Another Brick in the Wall'. Abby and me were discussing the song at the weekend. She asked what it was about and I said, all about individuality, self expression and learning not to conform to the norm all the time. Don't follow the pack. Think about it. Do your own thing.
But where does that philosophy start and end? Danika's been excluded from school for having her lip pierced. Now, I'm sorry Danika, but there do have to be some rules and uniformity about school, school is about education. If you can't get the masses to listen and conform no-one will ever be taught the basics.
Imagine if I refused to wear my uniform at work?There has to be some rules... And yet. On the other hand, there's the emotive topic of the school coat.
The school wants us all to buy the logo'd top coat for the students. I see this as a mass marketing money making device.
Where is the individuality there? If I'd wanted to send my girls to Red Maids with it's rigid uniform , I would have. This is a state run, senior school. Fuck the college milarky. I have never been a great uniform lover. I did extensive research on the subject when I started paediatric nursing. Kids are scared of hospital uniforms... But I begrudingly admit that uniforms are practical and the public likes them.
When they walk through the front gates, they have to remove any top coat that isn't the school one and even walk in the rain with no coat on. I feel this is a violation of human rights. Some of these kids are as little as 11 years old. Just left the relatively sheltered confines of the Junior School.
Individuality... I love Abby's friends. They are all so different and fun and vibrant. I'd hate to see any of them worn down by the pressures of conformity.
I guess you could all argue that a lip ring isn't that bad. As a nurse it means a greater risk of infection and spreading germs in my view. That's where my opinion comes from. If you have a lip ring at 15, where are you going to go next? Pierced nipples? Tatoos?
Your body is a temple. Treat it with respect and it will serve you a good 80 or 90 years.....
Yes that also means no cigarettes My little Wildflower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see the point of uniform but I know just what you mean. To identify is fine. The theory with schools is that it stops the "my clothes are better than yours" competition but sure we ALL know that isn't true. They just find something else to compete with. Had loads more to say but brain has stuttered to a halt.
Good to hear you sounding cheerfull again though. You'll make it :D You're doing really well *hugs* Good luck with the date. :-*