Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Getting Old

My Gran's always been a character. A strong willed woman once. Knows everyone and everyone's business. Loved by her grandchildren and my kids but as she gets older the stuff she does gets funnier and she tells the same stories over and over.
We were talking about her with my mum. Reminicing a family holiday many years back. A caravan in Cornwall. We had a huge picnic on the beach and Granny decided to take the caravans crockery and cutlery to eat from.
After dinner she took them to the waters edge to 'wash' them. There she lined it all up waiting for the waves. But if you know Cornwalls water at all..... A huge wave crashed in and took the lot away. Never to be seen again.
But one of the funniest episodes was quite recently. My dad had gone to pick her up and brought her to mum's house. He stopped outside and waited for her to get out of the car. Suddenly she started yelling. 'Mike, Michael.....I can't move. Oh whats happened I can't move' . Me sat in the back looked up in alarm....was she sick? had she had some sort of stroke?
No!. 'Try removing your seat belt' My father calmly suggested.
Bless

No comments: